Pages

Neon Colored Gypsy







Hello Loves,

As promised here is another painting I've done in tribute to the brilliant James Meakin. From the moment I saw this photograph I felt an immediate connection to it. I love the spirit, the warmth, the optimism. I like that I could actually escape into it. It reminded me of trying on these beautiful Afghani caftans in Istanbul and feeling so fortunate to witness such beauty. I've been on winter break now for the past five weeks, sifting through my anxieties about the future. At present everything is uncertain about my life and it has me thinking a lot about destiny.

I was reading Seventeen magazine today lol with Leighton Meester on the cover and she was talking about the power of visualization. She described how she literally conceived her dreams into reality. It got me thinking about the reason I started this blog, that I literally titled it after my dream job. Is it so far stretched to think that I could travel, write, and draw for a living? Being in New York makes you realize that anything is possible, that the homeless man in the park could be the next youtube sensation. Is that destiny or the power of believing? Why couldn't that be you or me?

I would love to hear your thoughts on this, what do you believe? For fear of ending this post in an existential crisis I would like to close with two must-see exhibits in New York right now.

'Fashion Illustration: Visual Poetry' at Gallery Hanahou curated by my professor and renowned artist Bil Donovan. It will feature the likes of Stina Persson, Sara Singh, and John Jay Cabuay opening tomorrow Jan 20th, 2011.

'Balenciaga: Spanish Master' at Queen Sofia Spanish Institute which showcases the work and impact of Cristobal Balenciaga's visionary designs ending Feb 19th, 2011.

Lots of love,
Meag xx